May 13, 2013

Andy Smithson: Blast of the Dragon's Fury





The Children's Writer's World invites L.R.W. Lee to share the inspiration behind her new book.


From my earliest memory, I’ve always wanted to write a children’s novel that was multi-layered with a complex story line.  But I wanted to do more than this.  I wanted to leave my readers with a narrative that could improve their lives as well. 


I well remember the first time I read C. S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia.  It was an almost magical experience for me.  I was fascinated by the land and all the characters and how they got into a strange, but wonderful world.  Narnia was more than that for me though.  Running through the story was another narrative, one of redemption.  Aslan was a depiction of Jesus.  The Stone Table that was rent in two when Alsan was slain on it was just like the veil of the Temple that was torn in two when Jesus died.  And there was so much more.  I loved the two levels of meaning…I was hooked! 

Since then, I have read J. R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and many other similarly styled narratives.  I love the complexity and multiple story layers; this general form fascinated me.  I assessed I was up for the challenge.  But, what message should be included to potentially improve my reader’s lives?

I puzzled with this question for many years.  Only while I was working with a mentor growing a company did I arrive at a satisfactory conclusion.  My mentor is a man of integrity and ethics.  I learned from him many lessons including overcoming frustration, impatience, fear and many more.  As I embodied these, my life became more peaceful and enjoyable.  I wanted to share.

Taking these elements and coupling them with my love of the mystery of castles with hidden tunnels and more, Andy Smithson was born.




2 comments:

VS Grenier said...

Thank you for hosting L.R.W Lee and letting her share about her book on your blog.

Randi said...

Thanks, Virginia! I hope L.R.W. Lee will consider guest blogging again for the Children's Writer's World!