October 11, 2015

The 5 Senses on a Summer Walk

The temperatures are dropping in Kentucky and we're sliding into autumn.  It's a nice break from the heat because during the summer, it was 80° at mid-morning with the humidity steadily climbing.  I walked for an hour early in the day before it got too sticky.

These are the five senses on a hot muggy summer morning before I sat down to write:

I hear:
the rattle of cicadas
the cheerful song of the cardinal
the screech of a bluejay
a neighbor saying "good morning"

I smell:
damp soil
strong fragrant lilies
sweet clover
the steamy, humid air

I feel:
a cool light breeze
the warm sun
the splash of a puddle against my leg
feathery-soft ornamental grass

I see:
American flags waving
oak leaves fluttering
a pale, washed-out blue sky
squirrels scurrying up trees
all kinds of mushrooms: creamy, fire-engine red, mousy-brown, cup-shaped

I taste:
Nothing yet until I head back for my favorite French roast coffee


No comments: